Autodesk 3ds Max software is packed with numerous new features that help users to work more efficiently and creatively. Artists can now manipulate and model objects faster than ever with object tool enhancements, simplified controls and UV mapping updates. Trackview improvements, fixes to the Motion Panel and animation presets have also been made for a boost in Animation Productivity, along with a new look and scale to the latest High DPI displays. Scene Converter will make moving from one renderer to another or to real-time engines near seamless and more consistent, while the new Autodesk Raytracer Renderer (ART) will help users to achieve near photo-real images and videos. Finally, 3ds Max users will enjoy a tighter integration with their pipeline tools with the help of its extended and improved Python/.NET toolset.
Create massive worlds and stunning scenes more quickly and efficiently with some of the most robust animation and rendering tools in the industry. New features in the 3ds Max software help you to:
- Improve navigation and editing times with UV mapping enhancements that address key user requests such as texture creation improvements, visual feedback, and a simplified, more efficient editing process.
- Quickly create hard surface forms with more reliable results using updated, double precision Booleans that enable you to add and remove operands with greater ease and sort or create nested Booleans.
- Set your desired bevel or use the same presets found in TextPlus using the Bevel Profile Modifier.
- Enjoy a more responsive animation pipeline with Track View improvements that include a new layout and new editing tools for manipulating key values and times.
- Speed up usability with new copy/paste/reset capabilities in the Motion Panel and creation/loading/saving capabilities for presets files in the Custom Attribute workflow.
- Enjoy more efficient and intuitive tool access for object work. Improvements to the Working Pivot, Local Align, Sub Object Pick and Point to Point Selection tools help streamline usability for ease-of-use and improved workflow.
- Render more near-photorealistic results for industrial, product, and architectural projects using Autodesk Raytracer (ART) renderer, a physically-based renderer ideal for design visualization workflows used in Revit, Inventor, Fusion 360, and certain other Autodesk applications.
- Access 3D content more quickly and in a single view, making content more easily searchable. The 3ds Max Asset Library is available from the Autodesk Exchange and allows for assets to be added to the scene through Xref, merge or replace.
- Run 3ds Max on modern HDPI monitors and laptops with new High DPI Display Support that applies Windows display scaling. Enjoy a more legible UI and new Qt based skin.
- Easily integrate 3ds Max into your production process with Shotgun integration that enables you to track, review, and manage assets on a secure, cloud-based, and collaboration-enabling platform.
- Create and modify, package and share animation tools using new MCG-based controllers that include Look at (with billboard mode), Ray to Surface, and the Rotation Spring.
- Create more realistic skin weighting faster with Geodesic Voxel and Heatmap Skinning. New skinning methods can be run outside of the bind pose and on selected areas, making it easier to refine weighting in particular spots. Geodesic Voxel Skinning can handle complex geometry that is not watertight and can contain non-manifold or overlapping components—as is frequently the case with real-world production meshes.
- Add data-driven information to your scenes more easily with a new 3D text tool that features global controls, local editing capabilities, and font retention capabilities that help improve workflows when copying text from Microsoft Word documents.
- Experience a more seamless Art-to-Engine workflow with the new Game exporter that enables you to transfer certain different types of data from 3ds Max into game engines such as Unity, Unreal Engine and the new Autodesk Stingray engine.
- Sell original content on the Creative Market and explore new revenue opportunities when you license your 3D and 2D assets online. Quickly access and search the marketplace from within 3ds Max.
- Send your model to Print Studio with one click, directly from 3ds Max.
- Simplify the creation of text or shapes as a map in your material with the new Text & Shape Map, which enables you to create text-based graphics directly from the objects used to create them. Elements remain interactive and linked to the original objects, and font changes, content revisions and shape updates are reflected automatically with this new functionality.
- Import, parse, and display simulation data more easily with Simple Simulation Data Import (CFD Visualization). Ideal for non-programmers, these tools can be used to help animate simulation data in CFD, CSV, or OpenVDB formats and apply render styles, CFD velocity fields, and animate airflow splines.
Autodesk 3ds Max 2018 software is supported on the following 64-bit operating systems and at a minimum, requires a system with the following 64-bit hardware:
|Operating System||Microsoft® Windows® 7 (SP1), Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 Professional operating system|
|Browser||Autodesk recommends the latest version of the following web browsers for access to online supplemental content:
|CPU||64-bit Intel® or AMD® multi-core processor *
* The Arnold renderer requires that the processor supports SSE4.1 (How to check if your processor supports SSE4.1)
|Graphics Hardware||Refer to Recommended Hardware wizard for a detailed list of recommended systems and graphics cards|
|RAM||4 GB of RAM minimum (8 GB or more recommended)|
|Disk Space||6 GB of free disk space for install|
|Pointing Device||Three-button mouse|
Autodesk Licensing Explained
Autodesk licenses are designed to make using our products easier, no matter what project you’re working on. Whether you’re in school, a small design team or a multi-national corporation; choosing the right license is an important step in getting the most out of our products. Take advantage of our free trial licenses, so you can see first-hand how our products can help you imagine, design and create a better world.Learn more about all Autodesk licensing options below or if you need help with a license you’ve already purchased, contact us at +64 9 302 4028.
Autodesk Licensing Options
- Single User: For individuals or small to medium businesses requiring a specific number of users
- Multi User: For medium to large organizations requiring many users
- Students & educators: Prepare the next generation of architects, engineers and digital artists
If you can dream it, you can build it in 3ds Max®, the 3D software for modeling, animation, and rendering that allows you to create massive worlds in games and stunning scenes for design visualization.
Max Creation Graph
Speed up content creation with the Max Creation Graph (MCG), a procedural content system introduced in 3ds Max 2016 Extension 1.
Improved ActiveShade rendering
The ActiveShade preview rendering workflow supports mental ray, NVIDIA Iray, and scanline renderers. Watch the effects of changing lighting or materials interactively to refine your work. Get finer grain updates with more frequent captures of viewport navigation and switching, adjustments to light parameters, and other scene changes.