Alias® industrial design software supports concept communication, design modeling, technical surfacing, reverse engineering, real-time design visualisation, and engineering development collaboration.
Concept design and fast concept modeling
- Sketching and illustration tools (CONCEPT, AUTOSTUDIO) — Draw and edit with integrated tools. Capture lines, circles, and ellipses with predictive strokes.
- Flexible product modeling (CONCEPT, AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — Fast, repeatable, curve-based modeling tools let you directly edit and sculpt 3D models.
- Fast concept modeling overview (CONCEPT, AUTOSTUDIO) — Walk through a fast concept model workflow, from sketch to final concept model. (video: 3:03 min.)
- Photoshop live link — Sketches from Photoshop can be linked to Alias. Changes to sketches are dynamically updated in Alias.
- Dynamic shape modeling (CONCEPT, AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — Quickly manipulate your product model and explore shape variations on 3D forms without rebuilding geometry.
- 3D sculpting (CONCEPT, AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — 3D sculpt surfaces by directly adjusting surface control vertices. Use curve-based tools, direct modeling, and more.
Detailed design and surface analysis
- Deck seam (CONCEPT, AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — Deck seam (similar to a flat fell seam) has been added to the Stitch and Seam tool.
- Precise surface creation (CONCEPT, AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — Use tools that help you create mathematical shapes. Control pitch with the Revolve tool, and more.
- Multiblend tool (CONCEPT, AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — Make smooth transitions between surfaces.
- Light ray effects and reflections (CONCEPT, AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — Study your surfaces in a virtual lighting studio with the Light Tunnel tool.
- Computational design — Quickly generate complex repeatable patterns, and enable rapid design iterations and exploration.
- Automatic arrays of shapes (CONCEPT, AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — Simplify uniform and nonuniform objects using arrays. Create arrays of lines and surfaces in 2D and 3D.
Surface modeling and Class-A surfacing
- New subdivision modeling tools — Alias has integrated the strengths of adaptive subdivision with native NURBS surface technology.
- Global refit (AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — Refit your digital model to the changed physical model.
- Improved surface from mesh tool (AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — Create a surface on mesh with 1 of 3 surface types. Update original data with scanned clay data.
- Precision surface modeling (AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — Create Class-A surfaces with speed and control.
- Surface creation and editing (AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — Perform multiple operations with a single, automated tool.
- Predictive control (AUTOSTUDIO) — Get more predictable results with new tools such as Freeform Curve Blend and View Flip.
- Multicurve profile input (AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — Profile tools provide an advanced way to work with surfaces, such as rotating a profile to a target surface.
- Intelligent form factor capability (AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — Define ratios with Form Factor tools.
- Mesh selection techniques (AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — Use an expanded mesh selection toolset.
- Offset tool — Offset command ensues that offset CV layout quality is maintained, enabling a semiautomated, time-saving workflow.
Design communication and product visualisation
- NEW | Save file author options — Save the file author information under the save information section when saving or exporting a file.
- ENHANCED | File > Share view — Disable the share view option using an environment variable.
- Virtual reality with Alias — Enhance design reviews with virtual reality. Explore your design to scale using an HMD in VR.
- Interactive product visualisation (CONCEPT, AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — Evaluate design options with real-time visualizations. Use shading models, apply color, add texture, and more.
- Convenient data exchange (CONCEPT, AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — Share industrial design data with mechanical design and CAD software, including Inventor, CATIA, and SOLIDWORKS.
- VRED compatibility (AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — Quickly convert Alias files to VRED software for 3D visualisation.
- Switch between shading assignments (CONCEPT, AUTOSTUDIO, SURFACE) — Easily switch between color combinations.
- Variant configuration sets — Capture your current view to return to it easily.