The world’s most complete 3D rendering software for high-end visualisation and production.
V-Ray for 3ds Max is a production-proven rendering software. Known for its versatility and ability to handle any type of project — from massive, dynamic scenes having thousands of lights to a sublime still life — it is the go-to solution for artists and designers across 3D industries.
- CPU and GPU Rendering – Powerful CPU and GPU rendering built for the demands of high-end production. V-Ray® GPU CUDA renders on CPUs as well as GPUs to take full advantage of all hardware.
- Denoising – Automatically remove noise and reduce render times with V-Ray or NVIDIA AI denoiser.
- Chaos Cloud – Render scenes directly to the cloud with a push of a button.
- Light Mix – Create dozens of lighting scenarios from a single render. Interactively edit the color and intensity of lights, and see the results without rendering again
- Resumable Rendering – You can stop your render at any point and pick up where you left off.
- Debug Shading – Easily isolate textures, materials and geometry to help debug large shading networks in V-Ray IPR and V-Ray GPU IPR.
- Native ACEScg support – Select industry-standard ACEScg for rendering with automatic color space adjustment for textures, dispersion, sun & sky, and light temperature colors.
- Initial out-of-core – Initial out-of-core implementation to handle your largest scenes.
Lighting & illumination
- Adaptive Lights – Faster, cleaner and more accurate rendering in scenes containing many lights and image-based environment lighting.
- Lighting Analysis tools – Accurately measure the light levels in your scene using the lighting analysis tools.
- Accurate Lights – Simulate any type of natural, artificial, or image-based lighting with a wide range of light types.
- Global Illumination – Choose from several global illumination options – exact, approximate or a hybrid of both.
Cameras and optical effects
- Lens Effects – Fast and accurate simulation of real-world camera lens effects like bloom and glare with dust and scratches. Fine-tune lens effects interactively while you render.
- Point & Shoot Camera – Perfect renders are as easy as taking a snapshot with the Automatic Exposure and White Balance settings.
- Photorealistic Cameras – Real-world camera controls let you work like a photographer. Render images with detailed depth of field and cinematic motion blur.
- Virtual Reality – Experience your project in virtual reality. Create content for popular VR headsets with 6×1 cubic and spherical stereo camera types.
- Physical Hair Material – Render more realistic-looking hair with accurate highlights. Use melanin color as a base and Glint and Glitter controls for additional highlights.
- Metalness – The V-Ray Material adds support for PBR shaders with the Metalness reflection controls.
- Physically Based Materials – From multilayered car paint to accurate subsurface scattering and in the aLsurface shader, you can create any material imaginable.
- V-Ray Toon Shader – Quickly add cartoon and cel-shading effects to your 3D projects.
- Chaos Scans Material Library support – 1000+ scanned materials. Import and render directly in V-Ray.
- Material manager – Efficiently browse from a library of over 500 render-ready materials including metals, glass, wood and more.
- Material presets – Save time creating common materials with presets for aluminum, chrome, glass and more. Presets for most used hair colors have also been added.
- Material previews – New rendered material swatches show you exactly what your materials will look like.
- Coat layer – Add reflective coatings directly in the updated V-Ray Material, saving you both material creation and rendering time vs. using Blend material.
- Sheen layer – Create soft microfiber fabrics like velvet, satin and silk with the new Sheen options in the updated V-Ray Material.
- Memory-efficient Textures – Work with production-ready, multi-resolution tiled textures from your favorite applications, like MARI, Mudbox and ZBrush.
- Triplanar Mapping – Quickly apply seamless textures without UVs.
- Rounded Corners – Generate perfectly smooth edges at render-time — with no extra modeling.
- Texture randomization – Add variety to your scene with the new VRayUVWRandomizer map and enhanced VRayMultiSubTex controls.
- Stochastic texture tiling – Automatically remove texture tiling artifacts with the new Stochastic tiling option on the VRayUVWRandomizer.
- V-Ray Dirt – Weathered streaks and dirt in crevices are easy with the enhanced V-Ray Dirt, which now employs both ambient and inner occlusion.
- New Sun and Sky model – Reproduce the subtleties of twilight when the sun is below the horizon with the new Sun and Sky model.
- Blue-noise sampling – Achieve better noise distribution with fewer samples.
- Proxy Geometry – Render massive scenes with proxy objects. V-Ray proxies also support layered alembic files and efficiently replace complex scene geometry and load only at render time.
- Clipper with Render-Time Booleans – Create complex cutaways and sections using any mesh object.
- Hair & Fur – Render realistic hair efficiently and flicker-free. V-Ray includes procedural fur, optimized hair shaders, and supports 3ds Max Hair And Fur, HairFarm and Ornatrix.
- Specialty Geometry – Create unique geometry like infinite planes, metaballs and isosurfaces, particles, and object cutaways with render-time booleans.
Atmospheric & volumetric effects
- Volume Rendering – Render fog, smoke and atmospheric effects that respond correctly to light. Bring in volume grid caches from Houdini, FumeFX and Phoenix FD.
- Aerial Perspective – Simulate natural-looking skies with realistic atmospheric depth.
- A computer with 64-bit Autodesk® 3ds Max® or 3ds Max Design ® versions 2011 or later;
- Microsoft Windows 10, Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64, Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64, Microsoft Windows Vista Business x64 (SP2 or higher), Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 (SP3 or higher);
- Intel® Pentium® 4 (64bit) or equivalent AMD® 64 processor with SSE2 technology or newer;
- 4 GB RAM (8 GB or higher recommended).
Award-winning rendering technology for any project.
For truly photorealistic renders, you want a raytracer that’s built for quality, optimized for speed, and ready to scale. V-Ray gives you the power to work with lightning-fast interactive and heavyweight production rendering—all while getting the most from your CPU and GPU hardware.
Built to handle your toughest scenes.
When you’re working with the biggest scene you’ve ever seen, you need a renderer that won’t let you down. Billions of polygons? Thousands of lights? V-Ray can handle it all. Render anything and everything with V-Ray. Adaptive Lights, Proxy Objects, Distributed Rendering — an arsenal of production-proven features when you need them.
Post-process your renders without the need of a separate tool.
V-Ray equips you with a complete set of lighting, shading, and rendering tools—all integrated with 3ds Max. The redesigned V-Ray Frame buffer with light mixing and layered compositing means you only need to use one tool for more than just rendering — no need to go back and forth between different apps.
Create interactive experiences in real-time — in a 100% raytraced environment.
Present your ideas in 100% ray-traced quality without the need of extra optimizations and conversions. Make project changes directly in 3ds Max and validate your designs on the spot.
See what’s new
V-Ray 5 for 3ds Max, update 1 brings even more workflow optimizations to help you save time and get photo-realistic results fast. From a single render, simulate many light environments and instantly tweak specific parts of your scene. Achieve real-world reflections and refractions in less time. Access Chaos® Cosmos content library for a consistent experience across products.
The latest update is now compatible with Autodesk 3ds Max 2022.